Many cat owners have faced the problem of keeping two cats together. In this article, we will share how we managed to do it.
We have a Burmese cat named Sid that we took from a friend of ours. We have had him for a few months now. He is pretty spoiled; the animal lives indoors and we take him out on a leash.
A while back, a friend of my wife’s had to stay home for a while, and she asked if she could take her cat too. The cat is a male tabby that looks like a Manx with a tail. We had read about living with two cats and I knew it would be a challenge and take months for the cats to get used to each other. It was a difficult task – we had a male cat on the outside who is not neutered and a spoiled Burmese cat on the inside. Keep reading to find out how we made friends with these two cats.
1. Each cat needs its own space, so we set up that space in our basement.
2. Our friend brought her pet’s bowl, litter box, and toys because each cat must have its bowl and litter box.
3. Our friend brought the new one to the new room and kept it there for 1-2 days, so the cat could get used to its new environment.
4. We allowed the cats to meet two days after the arrival of the male in the house. The first meeting was very brief; the cats just smelled each other and hissed.
5. Then we gathered the animals in the house every day for about a week to get used to each other.
6. During this week, the cats were ready to fight at any opportunity; however, we were prepared not to allow fighting.
7. A week later, they started rubbing each other to exchange scents.
8. Then, gradually, they began to play and chase each other.
9. In the end, the two cats started to play together on the cat tree, now they sleep next to each other and stay together at the window.
There is no doubt that it is not easy to get two cats to live together and it takes some time. If you have decided to keep two cats together, you must be very patient because the process of merging is slow. The cat that has been living in your home for a longer period will act as if it owns everything. In our case, Sid would not allow Tabby to play on the cat tree and with the toys. However, after a while, the cats became friends and had a lot of fun together. It will take time for the cats to share. This process is similar to teaching two children to live together and share their toys.
Six months have passed since we brought Tabby home and the two cats are best friends.
Who could believe that such a thing could happen? A spoiled cat inside and an unspayed cat outside – it was a difficult task but it all worked out. Today, both cats eat from the same bowl, they use each other’s litter box, and if one goes missing, the other looks for it. The cats play together, chase each other and entertain us. It would be a great idea to get another cat if you already have one. Cats love to have friends and this will make them happier. I’m sure now that two of these adorable pets are better than one.