Biryani originated in Persia and was brought to south Asia by the Muslim merchants to the Mughal empire.
The word biryani comes from the Persian word “biryan”which means “fried before cooking”.
The biryani I make is not the typical Awadhi biryani, it is an amalgamation of multiple traditional recipes combining the best flavors of each.
The authentic Awadhi biryani is the dum biryani. My biryani also has the features of the Malabari and the Hyderabadi Biryani which are known for their aroma and spicy flavor respectively.
Biryani is a wholesome rice and meat dish with a right mix of proteins, carbohydrates and fats.l use fennel,a condiment which is mostly used in Kashmiri wazwan.
Prep time : 45 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- Chicken -1 kg
- Chopped Onion-5 medium size
- Finely chopped mint-100gm
- Slitted Green chillies-7 to 8
- Milk-1 cup
- Desi ghee/any edible oil-200 ml
- Two large garlics (peeled)
- Yoghurt -250 gms
- 2 gms cinnamon
- 3 gms Nutmeg
- 7-8 green cardamom
- 10-12 cloves
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsb cumin
- 2 tbsp thick fennel
- Mace 3-4 strands
- 1 1/2 tbsp Whole coriander
- 4-5 whole red chillies
- 1/2 tbsp Whole black pepper
- Salt to taste
For cooking rice:
- 1 kg rice
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon shahzeera or caraway seeds
- 3-4 green cardamom
- One cinnamon stick
- 10-12 black peppers
- 2-3 Star anise
- Salt as needed
2 litres water (for boiling)
- Make a fine paste of all ingredients of the marinade.
- Marinate the chicken and keep it aside for 3-4 hrs.
- Take a broad,heavy- bottomed pot and pour oil or ghee(about 150ml) into it and add the chopped onions.
- Fry the onions till soft.
- Add chicken and sauté well.
- When the oil starts separating, added green chillies and mint.
- Simultaneously, in another pot, boil the rice with the aforementioned spices.
- Strain the rice and spread it evenly over the chicken.
- Now pour about 50 ml ghee/oil over this and add one cup of milk.
- Seal the lid with the help of kneaded flour to prevent the steam from escaping.
- Simmer on low flame for 30-40 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and let the pot sit for 40-45 minutes.
- Take the lid off and mix the contents carefully and evenly.
- Serve it with raita and salad.
- Enjoy 😋